Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Time Keeps on Slipping...

If you have children, you can mark time easily and on a regular basis with their milestones. First steps, first birthday, first tooth. (I very well may have that out of order; I have no idea.) But if you are a late twenty-something with no children, how do you mark time? With career? With relationships? There is no concrete definition. And that always begs the question: what have you been DOING these past (insert number here) years? If you have a kid, there is proof: you made something. But for a person with no kids? It's almost like you have to justify your existence when someone asks: "What have you been up to?"

So, let's start with career. Hardy, har, har. I have no career, as of yet. I am a glorified secretary, and can state with confidence that even though my job required a Bachelor's degree, I could have done this job in high school. Actually, I am pretty sure this WAS my job in high school. Answering phones? Filing? Transcription? Dealing with crazy people? Yup, yup, yup.

My degree? Yes, I love English. I think grammar is neat. But a money-maker it is not. I am currently in the throes of completing pre-reqs for a degree that might make me a little more moolah and offer a better schedule: Nursing. Oh, and before all of you rabid crazies out there verbally flagellate me for even mentioning income and the Nursing profession in the same breath: "Nursing is a calling, yada, yada, yada..." Save it. If I were injured, I would rather be treated by a Nurse who was competent and great at her job and who forgot about me the second she walked out the door than by a "called" Nurse who was shitty at her job. The point is, it looks like I will have to wait about two years before I am finished with school. Again.

Moving on: Relationships. My husband is super, and we've been married for over five years, which incidentally is the amount of time it takes for people to stop asking you when you are going to have kids, because they assume you must be barren.

House? Own one. Like it a lot. Still haven't painted the baseboards.

Personality: Well, apparently I am massively self-centered, because I am writing a blog that no one will ever read, and it is all about me. I am also snarky, sarcastic, sensitive and like a bull in a china shop when it comes to saying the wrong things.

God: Have One. Love Him. Cant wait to figure out what He wants me to do with my life; cant wait to meet Him in person someday. (Hopefully the former happens first.)

No comments:

Post a Comment