Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Letter to Weight Watchers

Weight Watchers… it’s not you, it’s me. I suck at counting points. I suck at trying to estimate serving sizes. I suck at following your PowerFoods list if I’m trying not to count points. I don’t understand why my fist is the size of a very large apple, and not a small one like you say it should be. I don’t like to go to meetings, because it seems like the most obnoxious person in the group always has the most to say. Online, your recipe builder drives me batty. If onions are “free”, why does my Points-per-serving go up if I add onions to my recipe?
That being said, thank you. You helped me. Really, you did. I lost weight using your plan before, and I very well might use it again in the future. You helped me lose the first 20 pounds, and it is my failure, not yours, that it took me a freaking year to do so. You taught me wonderful lessons, like how Greek yogurt is the bomb, and can be made savory or sweet with very few calories. You prodded me towards fruit, until I realized I really liked it. And I will never forget how you were the one that taught me how magical oatmeal can be in keeping me full. I know that you have worked wonders for others, and that your plan works, if someone is committed enough.
WW, I have a confession. There is someone else. Last week, I ordered Nutrisystem. It is my first day, and I am excited about this new relationship. And do you know why I think it might work?
Cause I just ate breakfast, and I have no idea what I am having for lunch. That’s why.
WW, on your plan, I would already be calculating how many points I have left. I would be running through the list of options in my head…Subway, Brown rice sushi, Bag salad? Depending on what I chose, my thoughts and calculations would then turn to snacks. Dinner. Dessert. Would I have enough points to keep me full until bedtime?
I am tired of thinking about food ALL DAMN DAY LONG.
I have my NS lunch in my purse, and I forget what it is, but it doesn’t matter. Really! I don’t even have to think or look at it until lunchtime. Nutrisystem did the calculations for me. THEY did the math, so I don’t have to stress about it. I don’t have to think about lunch until it is time for lunch.
Don’t get me wrong, WW. No diet is perfect, and I have fears about NS, too. When I opened the box last night, some of the portion sizes shocked me a little. Time will tell if this will last. But I am willing to give it a shot. I'm not one that thinks you have to be overly dedicated to one system or another for life. I feel like I should be able to play the field to find something that works well for me.
WW, for awhile that was you. But at least for the time being, I am going a different way.
Sincerely, Chic Chickadee

No comments:

Post a Comment